Welcome to the official website for Franklin Township Lead the Challenge, proudly serving youth for over 20 years!
Franklin Township Lead the Challenge Softball is a softball league designed for children and young adults with disabilities.
Frequently Asked Questions & General Information
What age does my child have to be to participate?
- We ask that players be a minimum of 6 years old, and a maximum of 25 years old. If you're child is outside this age range, please contact the board exceptions can be made on a case by case basis. Peer players must be at least 10 years old to participate.
- The season begins in late April and runs through the end of June. Games are played every Sunday at 1p.m. There are 8-9 games per season with no practices. The season concludes with a family picnic & awards ceremony in late June.
- Each team consists of about 8-10 players and 8-10 peer players. Managers and coaches will help run and supervise the game.
- Every player is paired one-on–one with a “peer” player who is there to assist he/she in whatever needs that player may have.
- League registration is currently $40.00 per player. This includes a uniform with their name embroidered on the back, a hat, and trophy that is awarded at the season finale and picnic. Peer registration is $20, which includes a league t-shirt.
- Each team takes turns being in the field and being up to bat. Every player gets a turn to bat, and there are no outs. After the last batter has batted, the players who are on base will finish rounding the bases to home plate and the teams swap sides to begin the next half inning.
- The length of each game varies from week to week. The games will normally last 2-3 innings. League staff, coaches and managers will take into account a number of factors such as, weather and player engagement. This decision is made on a game-by-game basis.
- In this league, we are focused on giving all of the children, and young adults the opportunity to experience an organized sport. Often times it is their first experience playing a sport at all. Therefore, everyone is considered a winner in all of our games. No score is officially kept, and each player gets to bat in each inning. The innings end once the last player on the team has batted.
- The games are played at Wanamaker Elementary School softball diamonds located on the corner of South Post Rd. and E. McGaughey Rd.in Wanamaker.
- During the games a coach or team manager will pitch to all players. Pitching is all done underhand style. Much like slow pitch softball is played. Players who are unable hit the ball that’s been pitched can also utilize a tee to hit the ball from a non-moving position.
- A special ball is used rather than a traditional “softball”. This is done for the players safety, and foam bats are available to players who can’t lift a metal bat.
- For safety reasons every player wears a helmet when they bat. This is provided, but players can bring their own if they would like. The same thing applies to bats.
- There are special awards that are given out and are decided upon by the coaching staff. This includes: Rookie of the Year, Hustle Award, and MVP.